Stephanie & Steven
|Melissa & Laurin||Justin & Tamara||Kim, Maya & Sky||
|Angus & Nancy||James & Kerry|
Monthly Deep Cleaning of Coop
2014 Oct: Laurin Nov: Sara & Daniel Dec: Melissa
2015 Jan: Mike (and James?) Feb: Steph and Steven March: Angus & Nancy April: Rob & Andrea May: Justin & Tam June: Melissa July: Justin & Tam Aug: Sara & Daniel Sept: Steph & Steven Oct: Laurin Nov: James
- Let chickens out as close to sunrise as possible.
- Make sure door is propped open wide and won't lock hens in/out if windy.
- Check water level and cleanliness. Refill and/or clean with dishsoap and sponge if needed.
- Check nest boxes for cleanliness (and eggs!). Remove feces, refresh pine shavings as needed.
- Check feeder. Make sure there is 2-3 days (1/8 full) worth of food in feeder and that food bin lids are shut tight. Check general food amount and purchase layer pellets if it needs to be purchased.
- Refresh pine in coop- sprinkle fresh layer of shavings or shovel out bedding into compost and replace pine shavings as needed.
- Secure hens in coop as close to sunset as possible. Count 8 chickens. There is 1 white hens, 1 red hen, 1 orphington, 1 unknown breed and 2 americanas (broodie & chipmunk), 1 black. Call/text&confirm that someone can do this important task if you are unable to make it home by dark.
- "Layer" feed can be purchase at Southern States or 5th Season (local,organic,soy-free, 50lb bags).
- If choice, buy pellets, not crumbles
- Supplemental foods: weeds (esp. chickweed, clover, henbit), seeds, veggies, melons, cooked grains, gut-loaded crickets or mealworms!!!, corn-scratch during colder months
- Avoid: onions/leeks/garlic, processed foods, sweets, eggs, fatty meat, uncooked grains, food cooked in fat/sauce/spices
- More specifically..... http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-treat-chart-the-best-treats-for-backyard-chickens
- Supplements: grit (aids in digestion), oyster shell (aids digestion, supplemental calcium)
- Fence repair as needed
- Label bins
- Sprinkle diatomaceous earth in coop and lightly on nest boxes
- Clean poop off of things, remove clutter
- Add dead logs to run for enrichment
- Replace/add new perches in coop (appropriately sized to feet)
- NO CEDAR SHAVINGS
- No hay/straw/grass as coop bedding; the holes in this substrate harbour mites